Essentials In Songwriting focuses on the craft of songwriting for worship. Learn with other songwriters from around the world. Write a song.Â In this course, youâ€™ll explore the foundational skills and tools that strengthen you as a songwriter. DigÂ into the heart of the creative process, learn to cluster and hone a song vision, taking a song from the early stages of inspiration all the way to the final stages of completion and use. Participants often start a Songwriting Circle in their local church.Â For Premium Members, this course is available in multiple formats for you and your worship team.
Ways To Take This Course
- As aÂ Scheduled Online Worship Class (Jan. 4 – Feb. 1; May 3 – May 31; or Sept. 6 – Oct. 4)
- As aÂ Self-Directed Online Worship Class
- As a Downloadable Worship Retreat
- As a Downloadable Media Training Course
- As part ofÂ The WorshipTraining Program
- As part of aÂ Certificate for University Credit
- AsÂ Individual Sessions (choose from the list below)
- Welcome To The Essentials In Worship Course (3:00) – FREE
- How To Do An Essentials In Worship Course (1:55) – FREE
Sessions & Media
- Essentials In Worship Songwriting eBook (toolkit)
- Songwriting: It All Begins With An Idea (2:25)
- How To Write A Great Worship Song (14:21)
- How To Turn An Idea Into A Song (8:40)
- How Do We Move From Our Draft Song To The Rewrite? (3:03)
- How Do We Move From The Rewrite To Finishing Our Song? (4:10)
- What Is A Worship Artisan? (7:54)
Additional University Level Media
- Welcome To The Certificate In Worship Leadership Studies (2:53) – FREE
- How To Do The Certificate In Worship Leadership Studies (4:35) – FREE
- Define terms such as song vision, song structure, melody, harmony and revision.
- Identify the basic elements that make a song accessible, singable, theologically strong and musically consistent.
- Demonstrate an ability to effectively rewrite a song without losing perspective on its song vision.
Course Outline (Scheduled Online Class)
It All Begins With An Idea
In this section, we begin with a study on the creative process, and how we can continually create an inspiring environment for those â€ślittle ideas from heaven.â€ť Participants will reflect on some of the stories behind favorite songs, and the importance of effective documentation of song ideas.
From Idea To Song
In this section, we will explore together the process of moving an idea into the framework of an effective song form. Verses, pre-choruses, choruses, bridges, and song forms such as VC, AAA, and AABA will be learned, as well as vital keys in the craft of lyric writing.
From Song To Rewrite
In this section, participants will learn the (sometimes grueling) art of the rewrite. Fighting for the best lyrics, melodic motif and section distribution will be our focus, with an emphasis on sharing songs with others for input. Participants will receive peer input, and professional input, on their song at this stage of the course.
From Rewrite To Final Song
In our final section, we will bring all of the elements of songwriting together in the final crafting of our song, and post these to our Creative Exchange. Feedback will then be invited from the wider Learning Community and final rewrites (at least for the course itself) will begin.